Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Instead of Something Productive

You know, like washing the mountain of laundry in my closet. Or, cleaning the bathrooms. Yuck. Or, even still, washing dishes or taking out trash. Tweeze my eyebrows. Or, many of the other really productive things I could be doing... OH! grading papers- that would be a really smart thing to do...

I just spent the last couple of hours drinking margaritas and eating fish tacos with my book club friends! I didn't read the book, hell, I didn't even buy it... but I did make it to the meeting!

I've missed every meeting since I suggested a book for the group to read that some called "soft porn." I guess that's probably two months? Anyway, I've given up on reading most of the books because although I enjoy a good chick-read from time to time, mostly I just like something funny or entertaining. Something a little raunchy is good too.

I don't like books that make you think and ponder life's greatest mysteries.* I don't want to cry. Especially in a group- please, vomit! I definitely don't want to say at the end of the book, "Oooooh! That's soooo sweet!" I want to laugh. I want to be shocked in some way. I want to read something that doesn't take life so seriously. There's too much of that. There are too many tear-jerkers. There's too much melt-in-your-mouth sweetness out there.

I am a really good half-book reader. I've read the first half of about 15 books. If it's really good, and it's some sort of school vacation, I might finish it. But usually- no. I just read half. It's good enough for me.**

So I'm about to read the book that I was supposed to read for tonight's meeting: "Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea." Anything with vodka in the title can't be all bad. I'll let you know if I read more than half.

*Or, at least books that try way too hard to get you to think deep thoughts. You know, can't we have a few laughs at life and maybe we'll end up thinking some of our own deep thoughts? Don't try too hard. And don't push your agendas at me. Entertain me, people!

**I actually do finish books. Just not all of them. It annoys my sisters to no end. I never want them to tell me the ending just in case I pick it back up. Yeah, right. I should have them tell me the ending so that I can stop pretending I'm ever going to pick it back up.

2 comments:

  1. I am a champion half book reader as well. I have about a half dozen books that I just can't bring myself to finish because there are tons of books out there that I want so badly to read ... half through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHEN you get pregnant, you have to read Jenny McCarthey's Belly Laughs, Baby Laughs and Life Laughs...They are hilarious, easy reads and you will read the entire book!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...