Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Big Changes!

Kristin had her baby! A beautiful little baby GIRL!!! Ahhhh!!!! Check out her blog to see adorable pictures of little Karter Lynn (just click on Kristin's name above). What a beautiful baby and a beautiful mommy!


Today was my first day back to school after two days out sick. It's so hard to miss work, I swear. Catching up is ridiculous. I was staring at a huge stack of papers when a kid comes up to me and says, wide-eyed, "Mrs. Hale! You've got a TON of papers to grade!" Thanks, kid.

To make this a really interesting week, I have staff development off-campus tomorrow and won't be at school... again! So today after school, as I'm trying to pick up the pieces of my room and gather together some work to take home, I also have to write another day of sub plans.

This is such a pain in the ass, for several reasons, all of which make no sense unless you're a teacher. So, let me explain in another way. Let's say you're throwing a huge party, but suddenly you're sick and can't do it. Instead of cancelling the party, you have to write down every stupid detail and have your husband do it. Your husband sort-of remembers that you mentioned a party once, but doesn't know when or where it is. He has no idea who is coming, and has no idea what you've already taken hours to plan. You have to write it all out, minute by minute. Draw a diagram of where the tables should be, what food to put out, what drinks to serve (forget the fact that hubby has no idea how to actually make any of the recipes you've planned). Make sure you write down some ideas for how to deal with difficult Aunt Betty, who acts out and makes all the other guests upset. He's also going to need to know where all the supplies are- and when to hand out the party favors.

It is overwhelming to have to sit down and write out every forseeable detail of your work day for someone who has never set foot in your classroom before. So... as I am fluttering around my room gathering everything the sub will need and typing up all the details my mind wanders over to Kristin and her new baby and it hits me... my life is about to change big time.

In February (that's only 5 months away!) I won't be thinking about what's happening in my classroom. It will feel like a world away. All those little details that seem so important now that I would spend over an hour typing up for someone else won't seem important at all. I'm going to be balancing feedings, and sleep, and diaper changes into my life at home with Sean and Jet and will absolutely not be worried about work.

Wow. I can't wait!

Oh, shit. I just remembered a counselor lesson that's scheduled for tomorrow... better email a teammate so they can add it to my plans in the morning! Never ending, I swear...

1 comment:

  1. haha, that was a great example of what sub plans are like...Crazy Aunt Betty! =)

    Thanks so much, we're doing great and loving every second with baby Karter! I can't wait for your little miracle to get here so you can experience this joy... and be done with lesson plans! =)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...