
Here's a picture of the little angel! We had our ultrasound appointment on Monday. We were both so nervous! It was such a big moment to see the baby whose little bitty feet have been kicking my belly the last couple of weeks! Of course we wanted to know right away if it was a boy or girl, but he had other plans! He was pretty uncooperative (a sign for my future?) but finally gave us the money shot, and made Sean a very happy daddy!
At one point, Sean asked the sonographer if the baby had two arms, because he couldn't see the other one... just as she moved the wand over to get a better picture of his little arm, he raised it right up and waved at us! Already a daddy's boy!

The day was going pretty great, until we talked to the doctor. Our little guy has (the medical term is long and completely scary, so I'll describe this in a much less scary way) a special little heart. As the doctor described it, one part of his heart appears white on the ultrasound. After many, many questions the basics of what I learned is that this is not completely uncommon. 10% of normal babies' hearts visualize this way on ultrasound (1 out of 10 equates to lots and lots of babies when you think about it) and about 50% of babies who have other heath issues (down syndrome, heart problems...) have hearts that visualize this way. Seeing this is in no way an indicator of one of those other issues, it just happens to be more common among those babies. This doesn't mean any future heart or health problems, in fact, they won't even check on it again. It will always appear this way via ultrasound, but won't be an issue for him. Dr. Levin said that she hesitates to tell parents about this, but is obligated to disclose this information to us. She said our risks for anything serious are very low, and she doesn't see any reason to worry.
That is way, way easier said than done. Sean did a little research (I know myself well enough to know that I should never, ever research any health related issues online) and I talked to my little sister who is also a sonographer, and we both keep getting the same answers: there is no reason to worry. This doesn't really mean anything, actually. If they saw other possible problems in addition to his special little heart then they would have said something, and they would have been concerned. This heart anomaly alone isn't an indicator of anything. It just makes him a little special. Like all the left-handers out there.
Everything else looks good. He's the right size, and has all his parts (including one little boy part). And that special little heart was beating away at 140 beats per minute- perfect! We saw his little arms and legs moving, and his little toes! I can't even think how small they must be! Oooooh!

The last couple of days have taught me how much I love this baby. My heart just aches when I think about how much I want him to be healthy and happy. Who wants their child to enter the world with even more challenges than they would have faced being just a "normal" kid? I feel like I'm constantly saying a little prayer for him. I'm constantly replaying all the conversations I've had with the doctor, with my sister, with Sean. I shouldn't worry. I know it. I'm feeling better about it every day (which is why I haven't posted sooner). I am trying to let go, and trust in God. Everything will be OK.
(Deep breath.)

A sweet baby boy!! I hope you have peace over the next few months - you will be a wonderful mother. I know it.
ReplyDeleteJoDee...I don't know if you remember, but they basically told us that Aidan had Down's Syndrome when I was pregnant. The doctors made it seem like there was a very small chance that he would be healthy. I stressed and worried and prayed and cried and freaked out for months until we got the amnio results back saying he was okay. I was seriously traumatized thinking about Aidan's future and what this would all mean for him. Obviously, now we know there was no reason for all that worry and concern, and I hate that sometimes doctors can make you stress more than necessary! Try to relax- even though I know it's always there in the back of your head. Your sweet baby boy will be wonderful and the perfect addition to your family! Boys are so much fun!! Go ahead and buy cars and construction trucks now because they come with a love for that stuff ingrained in their DNA. And don't go looking at the Polo website...they have GREAT sales on cute boy outfits! Dangerous! Congrats....so happy for you!
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to meet your perfect little boy! I am SO excited:) Dad & Cindy came over for dinner last night and we talked about your sweet little one. Speaking of... I sent some BBQ sauce your way, haha! Take care:)
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited you're having a boy!! YAY!! They are just so fun!! I'll keep your little guy in my prayers and although it's easier said than done, try not to worry! Your little angel will be just fine! =)
ReplyDeleteJoDee, I'm so excited and I know little Hale will be A-OK. You'll be saying little prayers for him for a long time. After he's here you're little prayers will start with "Thank you so much for giving me this little angel" :)
ReplyDeleteJoDee...I'm beyond excited for you and your family and Cindy...I just knew that Cindy was already buying clothes for him and I'm sure Sean is planning hunting trips. You guys are in my prayers. He's a boy!! He's suppose to worry you ALL THE TIME...he'll be fine. :)
ReplyDeleteHi JoDee,
ReplyDeleteJust read this my friend. I know Baby Hale will be just perfect! A cute, precious little boy to run his trucks over your coffee table and pull Jett's tail! You two are in my prayers.
Jenette
JoDee,
ReplyDeleteJust read your post. I am so excited for you! You and Sean will be such great parents for that sweet baby boy! Your sister is right... there is no reason to worry. I see that term you are speaking of all the time when I'm seeing babies in the newborn nursery. He will be perfect! We'll keep you in our prayers! Congrats! Love, Barb