Monday, November 24, 2008

Really, venison!

So, hubby's a hunter as we've already established, and we end up with a freezer full at the end of the season. The duck I just can't do. I've tried it at least a couple of times but I just can't get over what I'm eating. That shouldn't be weird, I know it's only meat, but it just is.

Sean and I were talking about that at dinner... he asks why wild game freaks me out, and I say because I imagine what it looked like before it died, what it looked like dead, and what it looked like as he hacked into it. He then says, "Well do you think that beef grows in Styrofoam packages wrapped in plastic?" Well, no. Actually, I do know where beef comes from, and I know there are less than humane meat packing plants all over and my beef did not live a free life nor was it handled with as much care as Sean's duck and deer... but I still get grossed out!

I am trying, however. Since the duck is a no-go at this point, I'm giving the venison a shot. Tonight I made my usual turkey meatball recipe with venison. It was actually good. It blew my mind! Even after a couple of delicious bites, I was still expecting the next one to taste really, really bad! Ha! I guess I still have a way to go!

Here's a link to the recipe for all of you with husbands who hunt (it turns out really good with turkey as well if your freezer isn't full of ground venison). The only thing I do differently is instead of using scallions, I saute half a small onion. I also added an extra garlic clove this time because I figured over-powering garlic was better than gamy deer!

1 comment:

  1. thanks for the recipe :) I agree duck is icky. If you need other things to try with the vision - I've had venison chili before and it was pretty good!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...