Looking at the picture below, I think you'll learn two things about me. One- I am a total slob. Two- I am completely overwhelmed at work right now. (Maybe three. What weirdo would take a picture of this and post it for the world to see?)
In case you couldn't tell, this is my desk. I operate in a constant state of chaos. The teachers out there who have neatly organized desks and classrooms... to you I say, "How?" Honestly, there are LOTS of teachers who keep their act together nicely, I'm just not one of them. My desk (which looks like this a lot, as embarrassing as that is to say) often freaks out my teammates. They feel frazzled just walking in my room. I think I drive them crazy because I'm always saying things like, "Ooooh, yeah. That's right. That is today." "Why are you all in the planning room? Do we have a meeting?" "I forgot to tell you this earlier, but..."
That's right, I'm the TEAM LEADER. This is scary. (I wonder if my principal reads my blog... hmmm.)
I don't mind this way of working/living/being. But I think I probably make everyone around me nervous- all you type A's out there are just cringing, aren't you? My special ed co-teacher has a look of sheer terror when I ask her to put something on my desk. She hates to even walk near it!
Last week was Teacher Appreciation Week. I was not really looking forward to it, because we were supposed to dress up every day. When you read that just now, I am sure you thought dress up: v. to wear something fancy, nicer than everyday wear, church clothes, but then you would be mistaken. Dress up in "elementary school-teacher" terms means, to wear something goofy, embarrassing, and uncomfortable.
The PTA sent us on a "cruise" for the week. On Monday, we wore cruise attire. That means I wore a huge straw hat, big sunglasses, and a scarf. I looked like a celebrity (in my mind). On Tuesday, I dressed like a tourist. (Not really. I had a kid say, "that's the best you could do?") On Wednesday, I dressed like a sailor. My creativity amazed me on this one- I actually had people compliment me on my cuteness. Thursday was pajama day. It was BY FAR the best day of the week. Friday was our luncheon- and we had to wear formal attire. Yes. Not only did we wear formal dresses, we wore them on a Friday.
I got pretty peeved when I first learned of the dressing-up. I remember saying quite loudly to my husband, "Why is 'Teacher Appreciation Week' turning into 'Make the Teachers Dress Like Losers so Their Students Act Like Wild Animals Week'?" But of course, I had a great time in spite of myself!
I have to post a few pictures of this... seeing as I am wearing the dress I wore in Amanda's wedding, and my partner Beth is wearing the dress I wore in Barbara's wedding (and looks much better in it that I did). They always say you'll wear them again... and we did!

My beautiful team. Seriously, we're hot.

This is my mother-in-law! Isn't she beautiful!?! She and I taught together for five years (when I say "taught together"- think adjoining rooms). This year we helped our principal open the new school and we're not on the same team anymore... tear. She is the sweetest person I know. So kind and so selfless. I loved working so closely with her! I would do it again in a second. Or less.
I work at a pretty amazing school. The neighborhood is on the higher end of the socio-economic status and our PTA put on an amazing week for us. I got breakfast, some candy, lots of scented lotions, a five minute chair massage, and enough gift cards to Dunn Bros. Coffee to support my addiction for the rest of the year.
Now if I can just survive until the end of the year, that would be great.
WE ARE HOT!!! Maybe we need to hit a happy hour in those dresses. . .
ReplyDelete