Tuesday, July 6, 2010

One Old Dog Attempting Some New Tricks

Since I've stopped working, I decided it would be really fun to try some things that I always wanted to do, but never had time for. I don't really have an abundance of free time now, I think I just realize now how important it is to make time for yourself.  Do something just for you. Not mommy-you, or wife-you, just you-you.

First, I started ballet lessons. I always wanted to take lessons (what five-year-old girl doesn't?); two of my favorite movies are Center Stage and Billy Elliot!! So when I find out that my sister-in-law, Joanna, has taken lessons before and she'll take them again with me and my sisters Jenni and Jackie... well, we all signed up!


Jackie, Joanna, me, and Jenni... all looking like giant kids.


Getting a tip from Jackie. 
I quickly learn that Jackie is the last person I should be taking tips from.


All our feet in our spanking-new ballet shoes.


What I've learned about ballet so far is that it's HARD! I also realize that maybe my parents didn't put me in lessons long ago because they realized what I just learned the hard way- I have no natural dance ability. None.  Even if I don't learn anything over the next few weeks and if I continue to get pitiful looks from the other girls in class, I'll still be getting a killer butt workout! It turns out there is muscle under all that flab, because I sure was sore the next day!


My next venture is cake decorating class. Now this I can do! I have always had a major sweet tooth, so no surprise I have an interest in cakes and icing.  I'm also a little crafty and artsy and so I felt right at home in this class!  I LOVED IT! I was so inspired in fact, that I am starting to fantasize about having my own little cake business. I am definitely going to continue these classes and testing recipes, so those of you who live near-by... get ready to do some taste testing!


Here's the two layered pineapple up-side-down cake with pineapple buttercream icing I made for my brother's birthday. It turned out soooo gooood! I am sure I'll be making this again!




Of course, in the midst of all this hobbying, I've been hanging out with my sweet, sweet Carson. I. Love. Him.


Tonight Carson was so sweet and smiley I ended up keeping him awake much longer than I planned on.  He started giggling when I was playing fetch with Jet, so I hopped up and grabbed my camera and did a pretty terrible job catching his giggle-fit on video.  It's a good thing for Jet that Carson finds him so funny... it really encourages me to play with him more! Poor dog gets so neglected!





After posting this picture and video... and after my brother's friend didn't recognize me tonight... I think it may be time for me to start wearing real clothes and make up and stop wearing my hair up so much.  I'm such a slob!  Oh. My. Gosh.  Is this the beginning of "mom clothes?" Am I going to wake up someday and realize I have lost all sense of personal style and current trends and still look as terrible as I do in this video?!? I might need an intervention! Someone come and rescue me to the Galleria! YIKES!

5 comments:

  1. I think it's great you are at least trying all those things you've always wanted to do!! That was a goal of mine this summer-done some but seem somewhat behind compared to you! ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that those ideas are such great ideas. I did dance when I was little and a few years ago, I thought that I should do it again. Let's just say the next day I couldn't walk. Literally! You're doing better than I am. And I like your new blog look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog JoDee (and the new look)! It is so cute, and funny to see all you girls in your dance clothes :-). And I loved the video-how cute are you and Carson having fun with Jet!!! Looks and sounds like you are really enjoying life...Can't wait to see all of you here in MN/WI-won't be long to August now! :-)
    Love, Aunt Stephie

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you're doing those things for yourself! I've said I wanted to get BACK into dance for years now and you've inspired me! I really need to do that! Maybe more acting classes too, I'll get on it! =) That video is so cute and your everyday attire looks just like mine! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You need to check out the blog link from my blog - Meet the Matterns, she did a cake class and became a fabulous cake maker...she actually had to stop taking orders she got so busy. She made Presley's first brithday cake and I really need a replacement, so let me know when you start charging!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...