My poor little baby has been having such tummy problems lately! He gets really gassy and uncomfortable sometimes once, twice, or even more times a day. He'll cry and cry and wiggle around, arching his little back. And, of course, spitting up and burping a bunch! This doesn't happen every day, nor does it happen after every feeding... so I don't think he's got reflux that needs medicating... or do I? I don't know! When this happens, I'll get him all calmed down, and then I lay him in his crib- where he sleeps beautifully most of the time. After 10 minues or less, he's crying again and the only way he'll fall asleep is if I'm holding him. I'm wondering if I shouldn't just sleep him on his stomach- since that's how he's sleeping on my chest and seems to really like it. Hmmmm.... Of course, sometimes he's fussy not from tummy bubbles, but because the little man hates pooping! When he has to pass gas or poop, he can really have a screaming fit!
I wish I knew what to do! I hate that he's uncomfortable and I really don't have an answer. I keep thinking that maybe it's something I'm eating... but what?!?!?! Poor Carson!
Green Denim Divided Basket & Diaper Pouch
4 years ago

Spicy food maybe? Or potentially a lactose problem? I've heard gripe water is really good, but I'm not sure if it's just for reflux or what. I personally wouldn't let him sleep on his stomach. They shouldn't do that until they can roll themselves back over. It's risky for the baby. Unless of course your doctor tells you that it would be a better idea to do it that way for some reason. I feel like Brady maybe did something similar. He's probably just adjusting to things. And of course he likes sleeping on you, you're comfy and he's used to being with you! You could try sleeping with a light blankie or something for a couple nights and then putting it in the crib with him, or maybe use it when you're nursing b/c I think there are certain scents associated with that or something.
ReplyDeleteHey, sweety, Hang in there! I think it really takes these poor newborns a month or so for their bodies to figure out how to digest...some just get it and some really seem to suffer. We lived by the Mycelon (sp?) drops and had them everywhere for quick relief. Also, I put Presley on a Boppy pillow in her crib...she was always swaddled in the easy to swaddle blankets they have with the velcro and i'd put her in her boppy pillow and I think she felt like she was being held. Her head shoulders being propped up by the pillow allowed her to be at an incline and helps with reflux and spitting up. She's my best sleeper so I swear it was due to that! :)
ReplyDeleteHang in there...you'll find your way. Soon you'll be posting that he's devouring a double cheeseburger (like Presley did this weekend)!
It could be colic. I had it and my mom says I cried alllll the time.
ReplyDeletehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_colic
Keaton and Karter both slept on their stomachs for that same reason! Mylicon drops help too! Hang in there and just trust your mommy instincts on what to do! If it doesn't get any better then ask your doctor if it's something that would need medication.
ReplyDeleteNewborns are so hard to figure out and one day you think you've got it down and they go and change it all up on you the very next. Brutal.
ReplyDeleteWe had a similar issue so I gave up dairy for a few weeks and I gave the baby mylicon drops several times a day. It worked wonders! She still arched her back and cried, but it was much less noticeable. Sometimes I think it just takes time for their little tummies to get used to eating "real" food (not through a tube). Good luck!
Hi JoDee, I loved the Video! Carson's looks have changed already! He looks like he's gained some weight since last weekend when I saw him, incredible! :-) He is sooooooo cute!!! His little girl friend is cute too! Way to go Carson :-)
ReplyDeleteSounds a like colic. We used Mylicon drops and they helped some. You can always try keeping him swaddled, especially around his tummy. It helped our boys when we pump their legs. Have him lay on his back and pump his legs into his chest. You could hear the gas being released! =)
ReplyDeleteThanks for all the advice!
ReplyDeleteWe tried a little of everything, and he's doing great! Still spitting up, but he doesn't seem uncomfortable anymore. I honestly think he did just need some time to get used to eating and digesting and all the funny sensations that come along with it.
He's been much happier... and he's gained a ton of cute baby fat, so he's obviously getting enough to eat!
Thanks SO much!