I think the belly is making me start to get anxious about the baby that's growing in it and how I'm going to manage two little people with two very different needs. I'm starting to feel the need to organize and get things ready.
When I was expecting Carson, I filled my freezer to the brim with meatballs, spaghetti sauce, chicken and rice soup, and bean and rice burritos. And even if it seemed excessive at the time (my husband took pictures of me working out there because he said I was crazy) it all got eaten! This time around, I'd like to try a new approach.
As I was prepping dinner last night I had what I thought to be an epiphany: use the crock pot. And even better- prep crock pot meals in the freezer ahead of time and then throw them in the day we want to eat it. A major light bulb turned on, I tell ya.
Now, there are only a few problems with this. 1- I actually like cooking and enjoy making dinner for my family so I find this idea to be, well, boring. However, when I'm juggling a new baby and trying to adjust to a very new routine, it will probably be necessary. Plus, I won't have to do this everyday- just a couple days a week will be perfect. 2- crock pot meals, at least the ones I've tried, aren't always that tasty. I usually have an issue with the texture of things... but I'm not so snobby that I won't give it a try. Survival!
So- that's where you come in. If you've got a good crock pot recipe that your family loves, please send it my way! In the meantime, I've found a blog that does exactly this sort of meal prep (when I found it on pinterest yesterday, it was like divine intervention) and I intend to try a few of her recipes. The blog is Mama and Baby Love, and there's lots of interesting stuff there. Not all of it is up my alley (for instance, she ate her placenta. Yes. You read that right.)but it is interesting non the less. And her meal planning ideas are pretty cool.

I'll let you know if I find anything delicious and worth trying! Happy Nesting!

You know I only cook in the crock pot! :) I'll send you some recipes that I like. And, I AM SO DISGUSTED WITH THE PLACENTA EATING.:)
ReplyDeleteWe love crockpot lasagna but I wouldn't recommend it if you have text issues because it does get a bit mushy.
ReplyDeleteThis beef stroganoff recipe is really good. I'd cook it for 6 hours though and halve the cream cheese. http://sureisgood.wordpress.com/2011/10/11/beef-stroganoff/
These sweet jalapeƱo ribs are amazing. Like, good enough for company. http://sureisgood.wordpress.com/2011/01/22/sweet-jalapeno-ribs/
This is a good basic chicken method that even if you don't care for it solo due to texture, it is very flavorful and great for shredding and using in soups, chicken
salad,etc. http://sureisgood.wordpress.com/2009/11/01/easiest-chicken-ever/
And there are a million recipes for chicken tacos out there. The taco season chicken meat is great to have on hand in the freezer.